Top 10 Baking Soda Uses In The Home
It's so hard to find truly natural or non-toxic cleaning products these days, sometimes it's just easier and cheaper to make your own using simple ingredients. Baking soda, aka Sodium Bicarbonate is one of my favourite products to use around the house for cleaning and acts to neutralise pH whether it's acid or alkaline. Here are my 'Top Tips' for using it!
Top 10 Baking Soda Uses
- Unblocking Drains - pour 1/2 cup of baking soda down the drain and then run the warm water tap until dissolved.
- Cleaning metal pots and pans - make a paste with the baking soda and water and coat the dirty areas. Then add some white vinegar and scrub clean!
- Removing dirt and grease from oven and microwave - scrub or leave dampened bakings soda in place for a few hours then wipe away.
- Cleaning tiles, tubs and sinks - sprinkle baking soda lightly on a clean damp sponge and scrub as usual. Rinse thoroughly and wipe dry.
- Absorbing grease stains - sprinkle the baking soda onto area and scrub with a wet brush or cloth.
- Cleaning hair brushes and combs - soak in a bowl of water with 1 tablespoon of baking soda.
- Cleaning shower curtains - scrub with a sponge and baking soda/water paste.
- Cleaning laundry - add 1/2 cup to laundry washes or for soaking stained items.
- Deodorise sports / gym equipment - spray bags, shoes and other items with a mix of baking soda and water to remove smells.
- Deodorise your Fridge - add an open box to the fridge and leave to absorb odours, change box every 3 months.
Keep your eye open for a post about beauty tricks using baking soda coming soon! Good luck making some of your own natural cleaning products at home.